Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oakland



I was born and raised in Oakland and I like that Oakland is a community were everyone can have fun together. In Oakland there are a lot of places to go and things to do. Some of the things that I really like about Oakland are that they celebrate days like 5 de Mayo and Dia De Los Muertos with big festivals were you can enjoy with the whole family and were you can feel you are in Mexico. The have folkloric dancing, marches from schools around town and all kinds of music.
Something I don’t like about Oakland would definitely be the about of crime that there is in the city. All they talk about in the news is how another person got killed or shot. Every year the death rate is higher and the more people try to do to stop it just doesn’t work. Recently the amount of police officers were increased but that just doesn’t seem to make this people stop.People are afraid to walk around the city late at night because they know what could happen to them. My personal opinion I like to ware jewelry like gold bracelets and gold rings but I am afraid to ware them when I am walking around either at lunch or on my way to the store. I have had friend who were assaulted and had there money taken away. That is just not right.
But not everything in Oakland is bad, Oakland has beautiful parks that people don’t even know about or knew they were there. Last year in a class I took called Inner Strength we went to a park called Lake Temescal and it was beautiful. Besides parks Oakland also has beautiful churches and temples were you can visit.

2 comments:

Dream-er said...

Hey!
I really like your blog!
I completely agree with you! People are always talking about the negative things of Oakland, and never the GOOD ones. Anyways, Nice reflection! =]=]

-Danni♥

Nani said...

Not all Oakland has violence not in my neigborhood. I think it depends on where you live. It is good you enjoy the event that happen around your community.